Friday, February 17, 2012
Creamy Potato, Leek & Pepper Soup
2 leeks, cut down the middle lengthwise, then sliced thin
2 mini bell peppers, seeded and chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 cups low sodium chicken broth
2 cups water
4 medium-sized russet potatoes
1/2 cup half and half
1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
2 teaspoons sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400°. Toss peppers with olive oil and spread out on a baking sheet. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add leeks and cook until tender, stirring often. About 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Increase the heat to high and add the potatoes, chicken broth and water. Cover the pot and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add half and half, greek yogurt & salt to the pot, stir and blend until creamy. I used an immersion blender but you could use a regular blender and blend it in batches.
- After the potato mixture is blended, add the peppers and blend coarsely.
* There were like 10 different things I thought would be great garnishes for this, feta crumbles, shredded cheddar, shredded squash, avocado, bacon crumbles, scallions... what would you garnish this with?
I adapted this recipe from one that I found here.